Francis Seivert greets assessment team in Montaña de la Flor

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Francis Finalizes Preparations for Team's Arrival

1. Julio, Angel and I traveled in MDLF on 22 Jan 2011. We left at 3:30 a.m. We met Angel in Siria. Saturday is market day in LaCeiba in MDLF, and even though we got there very early, many people and traders were already present. Ultimately, I would guess around 500 people, 100 horses and mules and many large trucks.
2. Julio was meeting with people from LaCeiba. Angel and I wired in a new hot water head (called a Ducha) so that team members can have a warm shower if they like. It is even grounded. We set-up one of the 3 generators and made sure it worked. It did! We then went to finish installing the new shower in the other building where a latrine and shower had been built. We were to connect more tubes and then install the same type of Ducha. Unfortunately, we could not get the key to work to the area so we did not complete this project, but hope to on 27 Jan 2011. The ride back to Tegus was normal.
3. Julio and I went to mass on Sunday at 7 a.m. I was sick Saturday night with a fever and pain all over. It did not get better on Sunday; it got worse. Sunday night was hard, but after taking some pain medicine and acetaminophen, my fever broke early Monday morning. I had total body pain for 2-3 days, but it is much better today.
4. Monday, Julio and I went to buy a few more supplies that we will need in the area where Dulce cooks. We also took Raul back to his home. He had taken his truck in for some repairs before I drive it to MDLF. I took a long nap in the afternoon to get feeling better. It has been terribly hot, except on Sunday when it rained heavy and was cool.
5. On Tuesday, Julio and I went shopping for food to take to the mountain. Dulce will buy certain items in Sulaco and in Acote. We spent about 2 hours in the big outdoor market, Belen, which is close to Juan and Lissie's home. It is the 2nd largest market in Tegus. Someday I will take you there. It truly is quite the place. You really have to be careful. I only took so many lempiras with me. There are very few gringos that go there, but Julio was with me. We had no problems except for finding a place to park the truck and have it be safe. Just as we were buying our last items, the police told me I had to move the truck. The problem was the guy behind me. He was blocking the lane of traffic. Cars, trucks and people were everywhere. You've past this market many times on Blvd. Del Norte.
6. I've spoken with Dr. Coello and Dr. Hutto a few times since Sunday. I spoke with Dr. Kemmer yesterday in the afternoon. Her team was heading to Omaha later and would fly on Delta to Tegus. They arrive about 1:30 p.m. I will be there, and I'm sure Dr. Coello and others will as well.
7. Carlos will leave from San Pedro Sula tomorrow, 27 Jan, and join us in Talanga. The people from Talanga will ride with Carlos. My truck will be full of food items etc. We will meet Fausto in El Guante. I must travel from Tegus to Talanga tomorrow by myself.
8. Julio, Dulce and others will leave from Sulaco early tomorrow morning to begin setting up the kitchen area. If all goes well, we should join them around 3 p.m. in the afternoon. We will have everything ready for the team from JTFB when they arrive on 28 Jan 2011.
9. While at the airport, I will buy some more Cuban cigars for chiefs Julio and Alvero.

That's about that. I will have cell phone coverage until we get about 7 km's north of Acote. I'm sure I will be back in Acote a time or two, and I probably will bring my computer down with me. Hope all is well in Le Mars. Hi to all. Peace.

Mr. Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment