Francis Seivert greets assessment team in Montaña de la Flor

Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday, April 9

Hello SCHS Mission followers!  I know Carolyn filled you in on our day, but just a few more things before the night ended.  Bob Becker ended up feeling a little sick, so we just named yesterday the ´Bad Bob Becker Day.  Also, as the girls were brushing their teeth to go to bed they got to meet 3 other part time missioners........roaches! 

Our day started eary as usual, and we were afraid we would not make up all the way up the mountain on the bus, but we did.  Thankfully the rain gave us a cooler overcast day, which was needed since the job was once again carrying bags of sand up the mountain.  We all realized our calves were a little angry with us as we climbed up today.  The most special thing about today was the help we recieved from the children.  They did not have school today so they were all around.  Some of them brought their own sand buckets and carried sand right up the mountain with us.  Some of us had followers that literally took the sacks off of our backs just to give us a break.  Never have we experienced such generosity.  We actually finished by 11 30 and we usually stop at 12.  We used this time for bubbles and some rounds of duck duck goose, or should I say pato pato ganso, and the children had so much fun playing this.  All the girls have special friends that go with them everywhere, and I am afraid hearts are going to break on Monday.  We teturned home hot and very dirty.  Some showered right away, others of us did some more sorting.  Well, unfortunately the water ran out for us sorters. so I am hoping it will come back on!  Tonight we will have our fish dinner.  This is Tilapia served with the head on and the eye looking right at you!  I will keep you posted on how many eat the eye!

Since there will be no school tomorrow, we plan on taking lots of gifts to the children tomorrow.  We have frisbees and a bag of toys, and the girls made purses full of trinkets for the girls in the village.  There is supposed to be a lot of rain again tonight so I hope we able to make it up.  Tomorrow we will dig, whicb will be a welcome break from two days of mountain climbing.

We are safe and happy.  We miss our family and friends and cannnot wait to share with you more our experiences.  Please leave comments on the blog.  I know the students would love to hear from your.  Trace and Bob, thanks for writing.  Trace I love and miss you too.  I am able to check the blog and it looks like now write on it, so we would love to hear from you.  That is all for now!

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    This is Sarah Jentz one of the missioners from the Gehlen trip. It so much fun reading your blogs everyday. I hope everyone is having an amazing experience. I know we did. I glad the girls got our note. We were hoping Tacha didn't take it before you got there. I got a good laugh when I heard you played duck, duck, goose with the children in La Florida. We played duck duck cat because no one knew the word for goose :) Enjoy this experience because it goes by to fast. It is something you will remember and cherish for the rest of your life.
    God bless and ta ta for now,
    Sarah Jentz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaitlin ....we miss you so much but know you are having a wonderful experience. I think about you often during the day wondering what you are doing and who you are entertaining:-) Words can't express how proud I am of you, your courage and spirit is amazing! Pixie misses you too, but I'm still her favorite. We love you with all our hearts...enjoy every minute of this journey.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mom it's me Trace. We played our first game and won 7-6. I hit the ball great even though I went 1-3 my second at bat I almost hit a homerun. Jack, dad ,and I miss you so much. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been avidly following your posts. You all are my heroes. I can't imagine the physical challenges you are facing, but your descriptions of the children and your interactions with the various people there bring tears to my eyes. You have the memories of a lifetime. See you next week...Vaya con Dios

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph, glad to hear that things are going well. We are very proud of you, and we miss you greatly! Can't wait to see your beautiful smile and hear your exciting stories. Love you bunches! Mom and Dad.

    Team, you are all in our thoughts and prayers daily. You are making SCHS students and parents proud! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete