Francis Seivert greets assessment team in Montaña de la Flor

Monday, March 22, 2010

Past Missioner Shares Her Thanks

Time until we are in Honduras:  3 days, 19 hours, 3 minutes, 49 seconds


If you are like me, thinking of our mission trip is monopolizing my time. It is hard to concentrate on little else at this time. One thing I'm going to do to make sure it's my best mission trip yet it is to get some good rest this week. There is nothing worse than being sick when you are gone from home, and it would be even worse when you are trying to do mission work and can't because of illness.


Quite often Seivert and I receive notes from past missioners with thoughts and memories of their time in Honduras. We received permission from one of last year's missioners to share her letter in our blog. She does a beautiful job of sharing what her mission trip meant to her. Here is her letter:

Mrs. Bickford and Mr. Seivert,


This is Caitlin Ascherl! I hope this letter finds you very well. It is the end of Spring Break here at Saint Mary's and everyone is returning back to class. As the weather starts getting warmer and smelling more and more like spring, I can't help but begin to think of Honduras and everyone with the mission. You know how different seasons have different smells, well this past week it has really been smelling like spring here in Indiana and for me the smell of spring and rain has become directly related to Mission Honduras. Certain smells, whether it is food, clothes or rain, trigger different memories of Honduras. I wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you and praying for you all as you soon will be leaving on another trip. I will be lighting a candle at the grotto for you, for a safe and inspired trip.


I was looking at the website today and saw that you now have a blog up! This made me smile.


I am so happy for all of the students that are getting to experience and travel to do something that will truly impact the lives of others, and one another, in ways that I am still discovering. When I traveled to Honduras, I knew what I was doing was important but I wonder if I had any idea what an impact I was actually having. Even after not been in Honduras for two years I continue to learn and grow from the experiences I gained in the country.


Lately I have been thinking a lot about Solidarity. Along with our actual mission, standing in solidarity, was one of the greatest things we did. The time we spent in Esquias and the two other villages with the people was such an important part of what we did. Standing in solidarity with other human beings, who spoke a different language, who had different backgrounds, needs and general understands is so amazing to think about.


I don't know how often you are thanked for all of the time and dedication you put into the programs but I want to thank you! What you did for us and continue to do for students and the people of Honduras is awesome. You offered us the opportunity to help and grow from one another, which is a wonderful and beautiful gift. Through sharing your gifts, dozens of students, myself included, have been able to share theirs. The two trips I took to Honduras, have been the most important work I have done.


Again I hope this finds you well and I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying for you. Take care! 


Caitlin Ascherl

No comments:

Post a Comment